Wednesday 21 September 2022

Gold, Frankincense & Myrrh Soap

I wanted to make a soap for Christmas gifts that I'd never attempted before....Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh. The only problem is Frankincense and Myrrh essential oil is SOOOO expensive and it doesn't really smell like much besides earthy. So this is my Christmassy version! The 24k gold sheets and flakes weren't really that expensive at all. I got mine from Walmart and made sure they were food grade. I have just included basic instructions below. If you are new to soap making please make sure you follow regular instructions and protocol, I have not included them here but you can find it on my soap making tutorial. I estimated $170 for the block which is around $12 a bar depending on how small you cut them. I usually get around 14 bars. So to sell this would be quite expensive but as this is for homemade gifts it's not too bad. By far the most expensive soap I've ever made!



Gold, Frankincense & Myrrh Soap

Ingredients

201g Lye
543g Distilled water
435g Coconut oil
507g Vegetable Oil
507g Olive Oil
15ml Frankincense EO ($75)
7ml Myrrh EO ($34 wholesale for 15ml)
7ml Clove EO ($9 wholesale for 7ml)
10 drops Cinnamon Bark EO ($3)
1/2 tsp ground glove
30 24k Edible grade Gold sheets (for the top of the soap) ($20)
4g Edible grade Gold flakes (for inside the soap) ($16)


Method

Please follow regular soap making instructions and protocol.

I added oils to ground clove ahead of time to have the clove soak up the scent, it helps it keep for longer.
Once soap hit trace I adding in the flakes and oil mix and used the mixer I use for soap making to break up the flakes into tiny particles.

Once poured in mold I tried to fold the gold sheets on the top and then pressed them in a bit to get a crinkle effect.

The next day when I went to cut the soap I did notice that the sheets on the top were a little oily and had some orange residue.

I will wait the six week curing period before I take final pictures and also test the PH balance to make sure they are safe to use.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to message me!