Monday 24 August 2015

Easy Indian Curry

This is adapted from a Jamie Oliver recipe. It's a great basic curry and you can add whatever you like!
Remember curry is almost always better the next day :)
Serve with Saffron Rice.


Easy Indian Curry

Ingredients

5 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons mustard seeds
1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
3 fresh green chilies, seeded and thinly sliced
1 handful curry leaf (I couldn't find these so I didn't use it)
2 tablespoons grated ginger
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
6 tomatoes, chopped
1/2-1 cup water
1 (400 ml) can coconut milk
salt
1 teaspoon tamarind syrup
1 large handful Baby Spinach
1 large handful fresh coriander, chopped
4-6 potatoes, quartered
1 cup peas


Method

Put some water on to boil for the potatoes, when ready simmer potatoes till ready.
Heat the oil in a pan, and when hot add the mustard seeds.
Wait for them to pop, then add the fenugreek seeds, fresh green chilies, curry leaves and ginger.
Stir and fry for a few minutes.
Chop the onions and add to the same pan.
Continue to cook for 5 minutes, until the onion is light brown and soft, then add the chilli powder and turmeric.
Chop the tomatoes and add them to the pan too.
Cook for a couple of minutes, then add water and coconut milk.
Simmer for about 5 minutes until it has the consistency of double cream, then season carefully with salt.
Add tamarind to the sauce and simmer for 6 minutes.
Feel free to add some baby spinach and chopped coriander at the end of the cooking time.


4 comments:

  1. I came across your blog while looking for some Indian food recipes and liked a lot. How amazing! I will keep an eye on your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous ! It’s a perfect color for an outing this weekend! Love it!! I have learn this item to cook while I was studying in the best hotel management college in Kolkata

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this information, I really appreciate your cooking skills, Thank You! I love this dish so much. I have learned this dish to prepare when I was studying in the best hotel management colleges in kolkata

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to message me!