Wednesday 23 March 2016

Vietnamese Rice Bowl

This is an adaptation from a recipe I saw in Family Circle magazine. I added whatever vegetables I had that I thought would taste good. I also added the coconut milk as I wanted to use up some left overs I had - tasted pretty good! Not sure why it's called a rice bowl and not stir fry since you just pour it over the rice but anyway...


Vietnamese Rice Bowl
Serves 2-4

Ingredients

1 block hard tofu, drained, pressed and cut into small cubes
2 Tbls minced ginger
1 Tbls chilli paste (I used sambal oelek)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbls vegetable oil
4 green onions, sliced
4 cups cooked white rice
Fresh mint or cilantro for serving
Lime wedges for serving

Vegetables as per taste;
Chinese cabbage I used steamed collard greens)
Bamboo shoots
Mushrooms, sliced
Red/Green Pepper, chopped
Carrots, slices and steamed

Sauce:
2 Tbls vegan brown sugar
2 Tbls lime juice
5 tsp vegan fish sauce
1/2 can coconut milk (optional)


Method

Whisk the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
In a large frying pan heat oil on a medium and add tofu, ginger, chilli paste and garlic.
Add I vegetables and cook till heated through or to your desired firmness.
Stir in green onions at the end.
Pour over sauce and let simmer for a couple of minutes.
Serve over rice and top with fresh herb of choice and lime wedges on the side.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to message me!