Monday 31 January 2022

Oyster Mushroom Fried "Chicken"

This is something I have been wanting to attempt for a while because I had something similar at a food truck and it was soooo good! I just used fresh oyster mushrooms but I think they get a more chewy texture if you baked them before dredging and frying. Turned out very well though - every last one was eaten and the whole family loved them (my family is very fussy, just for reference LOL). I used a combination of spices that are known as the "KFC 11 Herbs & Spices" and added my own secret ingredient!

Oyster Mushroom Fried "Chicken"

Ingredients

Oyster Mushrooms (around 15 large), washed and dried and hard ends cut off.

2 Tbls Spice mix

4 Tsp Chicken salt* (my secret ingredient - great on fries too!)

2-3 cups chickpea flour

2 cups egg replacer mix (I used Ener-G brand)

Oil for frying (I like vegetable or sunflower)

Spice Mix

2 tsp dried thyme

2 tsp dried basil

1 tsp dried oregano

1 tbsp celery salt

1 tsp black pepper

1 tbsp dry mustard powder

4 tbsp paprika

2 tbsp garlic powder

1 tbsp ground ginger

2 tbsp white pepper


Method

Pre mix the spice mix and store extra in an air tight container.


Add frying oil to your deep pan (I used cast iron), you want around 2" deep in oil.
Heat on medium high until oil reaches a temperature that sizzle when something is thrown in. I use a sprinkle of flour to test.
While oil is heating add 2 Tbls spice mix and 2 tsp chicken salt to the flour and whisk tthrough.


Create your egg replacer according to packet instructions and set aside.
Once oil is ready fry in batches (I did mine in three batches) by dredging in egg replacer and then coating in the flour mixture.
Let brown on each side, this only takes a minute to happen, you may need to turn your heat down to medium.
Remove and lay on some paper towel while you finish the other batches.
Taste and if you think it needs it sprinkle with some more chicken salt.
I'd like to recommend a sauce but we didn't get that far - they were eaten up with no sauce required ;)


*This is the brand of chicken salt I buy from Amazon - it is vegan, don't let the name fool you. Great on potatoes/fries as well!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to message me!