Monday 11 July 2022

Vegan Lox (Smoked Salmon)

 I had smoked salmon bagels at a vegan brunch place and was so impressed that I enquired about it. Totally shocked to find out it was just peeled carrots but how did it taste so much like salmon?!? That was when I discovered this was actually a thing people of the internet already knew! I tried a couple of recipe but I liked Love and Lemons the one the best although I added some items to it because I didn't feel like it was "fishy" enough. Another recipe mentioned using caper juice which I love the idea of...I just didn't have any at the time I was experimenting ;)


Vegan Lox (Smoked Salmon)

Ingredients

4 large carrots
Sea salt, for coating
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
2 Tsp Ume plum vinegar 
1/2 tsp dulse seaweed flakes
Big squeeze fresh lemon juice
Freshly ground black pepper


Method

You can choose one of two methods to cook the carrot;

1. OVEN: Preheat the oven to 475°F and line a medium baking dish with parchment paper. 
Coat the bottom with about a good layer of salt, then place the whole carrots in the dish and sprinkle with a good amount of salt.
Roast the carrots until easily pierced with a fork, but not mushy.
Check them, starting around 40 minutes, I turned after 20 minutes. It may take you longer.


2. BOIL: Boil carrots in salted water until tender but not mushy and then place in an ice bath to prevent further cooking.
For the marinade combine ingredients in a bowl/container and whisk.
Remove the carrots from the oven and let cool. 
Use your hands to rub off any excess salt. 

Use a peeler or sharp knife to peel the carrot into ribbons. I used a knife but felt like I didn't get thin
Place the strips in the marinade and toss to coat. 


Transfer to the refrigerator and marinate for 15-30 minutes. Overnight is best.
Serve with bagels, cream cheese, cucumber slices, capers, chives, thinly sliced red onion and/or dill.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to message me!