Monday 17 June 2013

Fried Tofu

Fried tofu is something I used to buy in Australia quite easily from any Asian grocer, but in Utah it seems to be hard to come by. I made up this batch and then froze what I didn't need in small ziplock bags. They are great for adding to stir fries, curries and soups.


Fried Tofu
(makes enough for 4 dishes)

Ingredients

4x 400g/4oz packets firm/extra firm tofu
4-6 tsp corn flour
1/4 cup flour of choice (I used rice flour)
oil for frying


Method

Press your tofu for 30 minutes or if you're lazy like me, just press out the liquid with your hands, being careful not to break the block.
Cut blocks into 1 inch cubes. I did two blocks at a time.
In a large ziplock bag add two blocks worth of cubes and 1/2 the flour ingredients.
Zip the bag and shake well until tofu is covered. Repeat for other blocks.


In large pot, add enough oil to deep fry (about 1/3 - 1/2 the pot).
Once oil is bubbling add tofu (I did two blocks at a time), stirring on occasion.


Once tofu has turned a golden colour remove onto paper towels to soak up any excess oil.
Repeat with remaining tofu.
Use straight away or once tofu squares have cooled down you can freeze them.
If you use them in a stir fry, defrost first. If using in soup or curry you can add frozen.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to message me!