Saturday 17 October 2020

Onion Gravy (Bangers & Mash)

This is a super delicious Onion Gravy recipe from Daring Gourmet which I veganised. Bangers and Mash is a comforting British dish found in a lot of pubs. It mainly consists of Sausages, mash potato, onion gravy and peas (I love minty peas!). I make my mash pretty simply; boiled potatoes mashed with non-dairy milk, vegan butter and salt. The sausages were Beyond Meat Original Sausages. I took the salt ingredient out as I found the finished product very salty, I would add salt to taste.

It's meant to be chunky like this;


My kids are fussy butts so I pureed it for them; 


Onion Gravy (Bangers & Mash)

Ingredients

1/2 stick (56 grams) vegan butter
2 large yellow onions , peeled, cut in half and thinly sliced (or diced if you prefer smaller pieces)
2 teaspoons vegan sugar
1/2 cup vegan red wine
2 sprigs fresh thyme (I used dried)
1 large sprig fresh sage (I used dried)
2 cups vegan broth (I used Massel "Beef Style" Cubes)
1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dark balsamic vinegar (I LOVE Mountain Town Olive Oil Co. 18 Year Aged)
1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons cold vegan butter (I accidently missed this step and it was still great)


Method
 
Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium high heat.
Add the sliced onions and sugar and cook for about 30 minutes until caramelized (deep golden). 
Add the red wine and herbs, bring to a rapid boil for 2 minutes, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. 
Add the stock, mustard, pepper and Worcestershire sauce, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a low simmer and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. 
Remove sprigs of herbs. 
Add the vinegar, whisk in the cornstarch and simmer another minute or two until thickened, whisking continuously. 
Add the cold butter and whisk until dissolved. Add salt and pepper to taste and more mustard if desired.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to message me!