Monday 11 June 2012

Slow Cooked Bean, Potato and Kale Casserole

I don't have a slow cooker (definitely on my wish list though) so I thought I'd try a slow cooked dish in the oven. You can add whatever beans you like. I think I left it slightly too long so it was a bit mushy but still delicious, hearty and comforting during this vile weather.


Slow Cooked Bean & Potato Casserole

Ingredients

3 large potatoes, washed and chopped
1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1 bunch of kale, leaves only, washed and chopped
1 400g can white beans, rinsed and drained
1 400g can butter beans, rinsed and drained
1 400g can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups water
2 cups stock
1 Tbls dried oregano
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 Tbls oil for frying


Method

Preheat oven to 150C.
In a frying pan heat oil on medium and fry onion and garlic until clear.
In a large casserole dish layer all ingredients and then pour over the stock and water.
(If you like it salty add stock instead of water).
Bake in the oven for 3 hours or slow cooker for 4-6 hours.
Stir ingredients a bit and then bake for anothere 3 hours, or until liquid has evaporated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to message me!