Saturday 15 February 2014

Vegan French Toast

I adapted this recipe from Oh She Glows. I took out the salt because i found it to be too salty.
I used gluten free bread which as you all know falls apart very easily so I used one spatula to lift out of the mixture and a separate one to flip. :)
My last weekend of naughtiness before I begin the Beachbody Challenge! Another recipe below if you don't have silken tofu or want a soy free alternative.


Vegan French Toast

Ingredients

6 slices bread
1 cup non-dairy milk
2 Tablespoons silken tofu
1 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon vegan brown sugar or sucrant
1 tsp. vanilla

1/2 tsp. cinnamon
dash of nutmeg


Method

Put all ingredients except bread into a blender and blend until smooth.
Preheat a skillet with some vegan butter or oil (make sure to also use a non-stick pan!) on a low-medium heat.
Dip the slices of bread into the liquid mixture and then place onto the skillet. Cook on both sides until browned. It takes longer than regular french toast so be patient. I wasn't and turned the heat up so I burned my first batch :(
Serve with fruit and pure maple syrup if desired.


I've also made French Toast this way and it turned out really well. I used Follow Youre Heart Vegan Egg and made up two "eggs" then added a little non-dairy milk and soaked the bread before frying with vegan butter.



This recipe is from Kara Lydon Nutrition and it worked very nicely!

Soy Free Vegan French Toast

Ingredients

1 cup coconut milk beverage
1 tablespoon flaxseed meal (ground flaxseed)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 loaf day-old bread, sliced
1 tbsp coconut oil
Optional: maple syrup for topping


Method

In a wide-rimmed bowl, add coconut milk, flaxseed, vanilla, and cinnamon, whisk, and let set for 5 minutes.
Heat coconut oil on a griddle over medium-low heat.
One side at a time, dip slices of bread into the batter, leaving no spots untouched.
Transfer slices to the griddle and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until golden-brown.
Optional: Drizzle french toast with maple syrup.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to message me!