Saturday 18 April 2015

Spirulina for Life!!!

I know I've mentioned Spirulina before but I feel like it bares repeating. Spirulina is awesome!

Many people find the idea of Spirulina daunting or gross.
It comes in dark green powdered form and doesn't taste particularly great on it's own but the health benefits from this Superfood are undeniable...but who would eat it on it's own? That would be like eating protein powder...eww!

I got interested in Spirulina about 10 years ago from a women I worked with who raved about it and basically lived off the stuff and she was a very fit, healthy 50 something.

The easiest way I've found to use it is in my morning smoothie because with the protein powder, banana, almond milk and any other added extras I don't taste the Spirulina at all...only reap the benefits...YAY! Sometimes I add it to the kid's spaghetti or soups and they don't even notice...mwah ha ha! (that was my evil laugh, just FYI)



What is is???
Spirulina is a natural “algae” powder that is incredibly high in protein and a good source of antioxidants, B-vitamins and other nutrients. It is largely made up of protein and essential amino acids, and is typically recommended to vegetarians for its high natural iron content. It's not called a superfood for nothing!

Here's a great vegan and gluten free spirulina mint ice-cream based on a Nuts.com recipe! I  added mint leaves to mine - yum! I love how it turns the ice-cream a great bright green color.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to message me!