Sunday 18 December 2016

Refried Beans from Scratch

I wish Id known how easy and delicious making your own refried beans was and I would've started a long time ago. I make a whole batch and freeze the rest.


Refried Beans from Scratch

Ingredients

1 lb dried pinto beans
1 onion, chopped
salt & pepper to taste
2 Tbls vegetable oil or shortening


Method

Soak beans over night.
Rinse and cover with water in a saucepan.
Heat to boiling then reduce to a simmer for about an hour, or until beans are soft.
While beans are cooking fry the onion on a meduim heat until they are clear and soft.
Add cooked beans, cooked onion, oil and salt & pepper to a food processor and blitz until smooth, a few chunks are ok.
At this point I freeze half of what I have made.
The remainder is used for Mexican dishes. for nachos and tacos I mix on a low heat with taco seasoning and a jar of salsa.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to message me!