Friday 5 June 2020

Hungarian Birthday Sponge Cake with Chocolate Cream

Quite difficult to replicate a sponge cake gluten free and vegan but I tried and although I would've say it was as light and fluffy as a regular sponge I still really enjoyed it! Traditional sponge is layered with fresh cream and strawberries or strawberry preserve but my Hungarian grandmother used to make me a vanilla sponge cake with chocolate cream filling for my birthday every year. It was a simple cake to look at but it tasted so good to me!



Hungarian Birthday Sponge Cake with Chocolate Cream

Ingredients

Cake;
1/2 cup Aquafaba (liquid from a can of chickpeas)
1/4 cup plain GF flour
1/4 cup SR GF flour
1/2 cup sugar
4 vegan eggs (egg replacer or flax eggs)

Cream;
1-2 cans coconut cream (refrigerated so the the cream gets solidified at the top)
6 Tbls vegan sugar
2 Tbls cocoa


Method

Preheat oven to 180C/350F and grease cake tin 8" tin
Mix aquafaba and pinch of sugar of low, then high until peaks rise, with aquafaba it can take a while so don't get discouraged. It usually takes me 10-15mins, I try and put it on a locked machine so I don't have to hold it.
In a separate bowl beat the sugar and egg replacers until  mixes.
Add 2 Tbls hot water and then the flours and mix well.
Fold the whipped aquafaba in gentely.
Pour into cake tin and bake for 25 minutes.
Let cake cool.

To make cream;
Scrape just the coconut cream from the top of the can, leaving the liquid in the bottom. 
Whip the cream with a pinch of sugar until whipped and then mix in remaining sugar and cocoa by hand.
Once cool, slice cake in half with a bread knife.
Spoon chocolate cream on bottom half and spread with spatula or cake knife.
Replace top of cake and spinkle with powdered sugar.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to message me!