Wednesday 13 May 2020

Vegan Honey

So I wouldn't say this taste exactly like honey but it's close and certainly cheaper to make than buying agave or vegan honey brands. Small list of simple ingredients!
Original recipe from Vegan Kitchen Magick. She goes into detail of how to make your own flower teas/fragrances and infusing the juice with them for the honey too which is very cool. I just used some store bought chamomile tea bags and some loose leaf (that I put in a tea bag) which had chamomile, lavender, spearmint, passionflower, lemon balm, rose petals and silver lime leaves. Maybe next time I'll try my hand at DIY tea! Before you start check the weight of the large pot you're using. Once ingredients are in (minus tea bags) make sure you weigh before starting so you know what weight to end with. You will need to reduce the mixture to 1,360g (not including weight of your pot). I ended up having to use people scales because my pot was heavy and my kitchen scales don't go above 5kg.


Vegan Honey

Ingredients

2 quarts (1.89L) Organic Apple Juice (you will want 1,920g on the scales which is slightly less that the 2 quart bottle)
800 grams Vegan Sugar (I used turbinado)
3 Chamomile Tea Bags


Instructions

As written above weight your vessel and then weigh again with added ingredients, writing down the measurements.
Add the sugar to your juice, then heat while stirring constantly until the sugar has dissolved. About five minutes.
Bring the mixture to a boil, and add tea bags, I had my makeshift bag clipped and my store bought bags tied around the handles - when it starts to boil they will dance!

                                                                                                                         


After 30 minutes take out the tea bags and reduce the heat and simmer for two hours to start. 
Stir the syrup every 10-20 minutes to prevent it from burning on the bottom.
After the two hours of simmering, check the weight of your pot with the honee to see how close you are to your target weight of 1,360g. 
It might seem thin at first but it will thicken as it cools.
Let cool for 20 minutes or so before transferring into your sterilized jars.
Allow jars to cool to room temperature before storing in the fridge.
With sugar as a natural preservative it should last for several months in your fridge.
I got about 2 pints of vegan honey.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to message me!