Friday 23 January 2015

Tortilla Soup

This recipe is based on a recipe from Kathy Hester's The Vegan Slow Cooker cookbook. I changed it slightly so it's more like a Chili Soup but either way it was amazing. A thumbs up from the whole family...which rarely happens.


Tortilla Soup 
Serves 6+

Ingredients

1 Tb olive oil
1 medium onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
28 oz. organic tomatoes (diced, crushed, or whole)
1/4 cup tomato paste
4 cups filtered water
1 tsp pepper
Salt to taste
1/2 lime, juiced
1 Tb cilantro, chopped
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1-2 cups vegan ground beef (I used Gardein)
1/2 avocado, chopped
1/4 cup tequila (optional)


Method

Saute onions in olive oil until transparent and then add garlic for another minute.
Add everything but the avocado and tequila. I didn't add the cilantro because I have haters in my family so I left it as an optional extra on the table.
Cook on low for 6 – 8 hours. About a half hour or so before serving, stir in lime juice, tequila, and adjust. 
Serve topped with fresh cilantro, avocado, lime wedges and corn chips.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to message me!