Friday 17 March 2017

The Mega Burrito Bowl

This is a makeshift version of the burrito bowl I always get when I go to Moe's. It's so delicious and filling and easily interchangeable depending on your taste preferences.Servings wise you get around 4 large servings here. Or 1-2 in my greedy ass case...


The Mega Burrito Bowl

Ingredients

Spanish Rice (I used black rice in this version and omitted the onions as I was already frying onion)
Black or kidney beans (already prepared - I cooked my black beans in vegetable stock)
Savoury Tofu Strips
1 onion, sliced
1-2 green or red peppers, cored and sliced thinly
10 medium sized white or brown mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp crushed garlic
1/2 cup sliced black olives
1 cup cooked corn kernals
Salsa of choice (I like it with pineapple, peach or mango)
Pico de gallo (mine was just chopped tomatoes, red onion, cilantro and lime juice)
Guacamole
Cilantro (to serve)
Lime wedge (to serve)
Oil for frying


Method

It's best to prepare the beans in advance as they can take a while unless you're using canned!
I prepared the beans, then the rice followed by the tofu and then set aside.


You can also make up your salsa, pico and guacamole in advance and refrigerate.
In a medium frying pan add 2 Tbls oil and fry the peppers and onion together on a medium heat until cooked through, onion should be clear, then set aside..
In a medium saucepan add 1 Tbls oil and fry mushrooms and garlic on a medium heat until mushrooms are soft, then set aside.

I like the cooked items to be warm when I eat this burrito bowl so I prepare each bowl with a serving of spanish rice (around 1/4 cup), beans (around 1/4 cup), mushrooms, onions, peppers, corn and olives and then microwave for 1 minute.
Then I top with the refrigerated items, pico (around 1/4 cup), salsa (around 1/4 cup), guacamole (pretty much as much as I feel like) and then serve with a sprinkle of cilantro and a squeeze of lime.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to message me!