Monday 7 October 2013

Fried Green Tomatoes

Being an honorary Southerner I wanted to try Fried Green Tomatoes (also cause the movie was so awesome!) but I've never seen green tomatoes anywhere! Luckily this year we grew our own and have just harvested them while they were green so here they are...
This recipe was adapted from The Southern Vegan.



Fried Green Tomatoes

Ingredients

3 or 4 large firm green tomatoes
salt
2 cups oil
1 cup soy or almond milk
egg replacer for 1 egg
2 cups GF flour (I used a combination of quinoa, cornmeal, brown rice and amaranth flours)


Method

Slice tomatoes (about 1/4-inch thick) and sprinkle with salt on both sides.
Place tomato slices in a colander for 25-30 minutes. (This allows the salt to pull the water out of the tomatoes).


Mix milk and egg replacer.
Heat oil in a large saucepan
Dip the tomatoes into milk mixture, then coat with flour.
I found I only needed 1 cup of the flour mix for 3 large tomatoes.
Deep-fry until golden brown.
Serve with a horseradish based sauce....I used Follow Your Heart Vegan Horseradish Sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to message me!