Sunday 5 October 2014

Vegan Brunswick Stew

I had never heard of Brunswick Stew but my husband said he used to get it at a small BBQ place in Georgia and loved it so I though I'd try and veganise it! I changed this recipe from one I saw on His Blessed Kid blog. The recipe calls for 3 1/2 cups of ketchup - I found this too strong on the vinegar so I recommend only added 2 cups, although I left the recipe as the original. If you do find it too strong on vinegar then add 1/4 tsp baking soda to every cup of stew and it will neutralise the vinegar.


Vegan Brunswick Stew
Makes around 1 gallon

Ingredients

For the sauce;
1/4 lb of vegan butter
3 1/2 cups Catsup/Ketchup (as per note 2 cups plus 1 cup tomato paste would be fine)
1/2 cup French’s Yellow Mustard
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
2 teaspoons coarse grind black pepper
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 oz. Liquid Smoke
2 oz. vegan Worcestershire sauce
2 oz. Crystal hot sauce or 1 oz. Tabasco (I only added the 1oz of hot sauce and that was enough for me!)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup dark brown sugar

For the stew;
1/4 lb of vegan butter
3 cups small diced potatoes
1 cup small diced onion
2 x 14 1/2 oz. cans faux chicken broth
1 lb faux chicken (I used tofu cubes marinated in soy, liquid smoke and chicken seasoning and shallow fry)
8 to 10 oz. faux smoked ham/bacon (I used 1 packet of Helen's Kitchen vegan mince)
1 (8 1/2 oz.) can early peas (I used sweet peas - check to make sure they haven't added sugar)
2 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) stewed tomatoes (chop tomatoes, add liquid to the stew pot)
1/4 cup prepared sauce (from above recipe)
1 16 oz. can of baby lima beans (check to make sure they haven't added sugar)
1/4 cup Liquid Smoke
1 (14 to 15 oz.) can creamed corn (I couldn't find one without sugar so I bought sweet corn and blitzed)


Method

To make sauce, melt butter over low heat, in a 2 1/2 quart sauce pan. Add ketchup, vinegar & mustard and whisk/stir until well combined.
Add in garlic, black pepper, crushed red pepper, liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce & lemon juice and mix well to combine.
Add in brown sugar and stir constantly, increase heat to simmer (do not boil) for approximately 10 minutes.
Makes about 7 cups of sauce.  Set aside, or simmer on low if you wanna really make it good.


In a 2 gallon pot add butter and melt.
Add potatoes, onion, chicken broth, faux chicken and faux ham.
Bring to a rolling boil, stirring until potatoes are near done.


Add peas, stewed tomatoes, 1/4 sauce, lima beans, creamed corn and liquid smoke.
Slow simmer for 2 hours. Around 30 minutes before time ends add in all the sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to message me!