Wednesday 3 August 2011

Fried Gnocchi

The original recipe I found wasn't GF and had the gnocchi boiled. As I found out the hard way GF gnocchi tends to disintegrate into the water. I saw someone had commented that they had fried it instead so I thought I'd try it that way.



Fried Gnocchi

Ingredients
Gnocchi
4 medium potatoes
1/2 cup fresh chopped basil
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 1/2 Tbls olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 Tbls water
1 Tbls Flaxseed meal mixed with 2 Tblsp water
1/2 cup pototao flour (I used corn because I was out of potato)
1 1/4 Buckwheat/GF flour

Sauce
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 - 1 jar tomato puree
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 Tbls mixed herbs
2 tsp sugar
salt & pepper
1/2 cup water if sauce too thick
fresh basil - if any left

Method
I put the potatoes in the oven as soon as I got home. Wrapped in foil and baked at 200C for around 1 hour (turning if you get a chance after 30mins). Then let cool.

Once cool, peel back the skin with your fingers or a peeler and mash potatoes in a large bowl and leave to the side.

In a food processor (or mixer/blender) blitz the basil, oil, water, garlic, nutritional yeast & salt until smooth.

Mash mix into the potatoes then add flaxseed mix and use a fork to mash in.

In a large fry pan heat a Tbls olive oil  to a medium heat.

Add remaining flour and use your hands to make a dough.
Pull small amounts and roll to make a ball. Press your thumb in the centre and put on the fry pan. Repeat until fry pan is full. I had to do two batches. After a few minutes you can turn them.

While the gnocchi is frying start on the sauce.
To a saucepan on a medium heat add garlice to 1 Tbls olive oil and let fry for a minute. The add chopped tomatoes and tomato paste and water if needed. Mix and let simmer for a few minutes.

Once you've turned your gnocci you can add the herbs, sugar and seasoning to taste to the sauce. Let simmer on a low heat  until gnocchi is done.

Mix in fried gnocchi to sauce and serve with salad!

It was very filling so I got 4 serves easily out of this. I served with some fresh fennel that I had lying around. For those who have never had it (I love it!) it's like an aniseed flavoured celery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to message me!