Wednesday 3 August 2011

Marmalade

Thanks to the kindness of some family members with fruit trees we had an abundance of oranges, lemons and something that was like a hybrid orange/grapefruit so I thought I'd take a crack at making marmalade. Turned out so well. It made 8 jars so I'll need to give some away. I ordered my cool labels from Blue Sugar Press on Etsy.com.



Orange Marmalade

Ingredients

6 Oranges (I added a couple of grapefruits too)
2 Lemons - juiced
2 kg jam sugar (I used CSR jam sugar which uses fruit pectin as the setting agent)
2 Litres water


Method

Wash oranges carefully then slice finely.
Add to a large pot with water and lemon juice and leave covered over night. Stainless steel is the best pot for this because the acid might rust aluminium or cast iron.
The next day bring to the boil and simmer uncovered for 40mins.
Place the suagr in an oven dish and heat at low/moderate heat for 10mins.
Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
bring to the boil and let boil for 45-55mins.
After this time you can test the marmalade by putting some on a plate and putting in the fridge for a few minutes. If the jam is set and wrinkles when you touch it then it is ready.
Turn off heat and allow to cool slightly and the fruit to settle before putting in sterilised jars.
To sterilise jars wash with soap and water, then rinse with hot water. Put jars in oven at 120°C for 20 minutes.
Spoon into jars and seal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to message me!